Thursday, July 21, 2011

Food. Frozen. Fresh. Fantastic.

My house is clean. It is Thursday evening. Well for you it might be Friday. Which I think is better, so lucky you.


This post is about two things:
Bananas
Basil
.


First, the Bananas. (Which can be breakfast, or dessert. Or dinner.)



I made them once for dinner on a Friday...I was totally hooked!
Now I make banana peanut butter (omit the chocolate...I know, that's kind of illegal but I'm trying to be more healthy) shakes for breakfast a few days a week. They are so easy and delicious! 

Basic recipe and instructions:
Frozen bananas
Milk
Spoonful of peanut butter
(Chocolate chips if you want...or if you want really decadent, Reese's PB cups)
Blend with hand blender! Done!

I pre-slice and freeze ripe bananas and keep them in freezer bags. 


Just peel, slice, lay out on parchment or wax paper on a cookie sheet, and freeze. 
Then transfer to bags to store. 
Easy! Those shakes are awesome, and so is this.

On to the basil! 


(Interruption: After typing the whole thing about the bananas, I had to go make a shake for dessert...no chocolate though!)

Tonight for dinner I made: 
Pesto (from scratch)
Thin spaghetti
Sautéed zucchini
Grilled mahi mahi (<--Husband grilled this)

The pesto was amazing! I made a huge mess with olive oil during it (all over the counter), but worth it:


Eventually I might get a better camera and improve my picture-taking skillz.


Yes that is sunshine on my zucchinis! I do love all of the windows in our house.


We ate garden-fresh tomatoes as a snack while I cooked. This photo is mostly to show the hard water spot ON THE GARDEN FRESH TOMATO. Straight from the garden. <3 hard water.


By the time I was done making dinner, I was so hungry I ate it without taking pictures of the finished product...sorry. It was great! 

Approximate recipe...

Pesto (based on The Joy of Cooking)
2 cups basil leaves
1/3 cups pine nuts (I used toasted walnuts)
2-3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup grated parmesean
Whirl in food processor into a thick paste. 
Then drizzle in 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil while processor runs.
Eat. 

Cook thin spaghetti. 

Wash, slice, and saute zucchini in a little olive oil until soft. 

Grill mahi mahi filets (ours were 4 oz each) about 4 minutes per side over med-high heat. 

Mix some pesto with the pasta, top with zuc and a dollop more of pesto, top 
with mahi mahi...squeeze lemon over the top. 

Have a great weekend! We are going adventuring...



No comments:

Post a Comment