Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer cookin'


Last night I made a frittata. 
Living in the California Central Valley definitely has its perks. 
Here, specifically fruit and vegetable perks. 


And eggs. Egg perks, too.



This frittata (with zucchini, onion, shallot, tomatoes, chard, and cheese) was accompanied by a mash made of potatoes and turnips, fresh corn, and for dessert--chocolate chip zucchini bread. 

(pre-broil)
My mom introduced me to making frittatas and I love them...you can put any leftover or fresh vegetables and meat in them, so they are a great way to clean out the fridge and make something healthy! Recipes follow....

Frittata
10-12 eggs (we get ours from our dog trainer, she has a bunch of chickens!)
various vegetables, maybe a little meat
I used:
~10 leaves chard (from farm garden)
1 zucchini (farm garden)
1/2 onion
1 shallot
tomato sliced on top (from Pedrick's our local produce stand)
Cheddar cheese (you can mix this into the eggs or put on top)
(Sometimes I had chopped chicken sausage or sliced up salami)

Crack eggs into a bowl and beat
Saute your vegetables (meat too if using) in an oven-proof pan (I use either a metal handled one or a cast iron one depending on my mood..)
Pour eggs over, add toppings if using (mine were the tomatoes and cheese)
Cook on the stove until the edges are set, then move under the broiler in the oven and broil for a few minutes until eggs are set. 


Potato-Turnip Mash
~ 2 dozen small turnips (mine were from the farm garden, none 
bigger than ~2 inches across, most ~1 inch across)
4 potatoes (I used reds)
Butter, milk, salt, pepper

Scrub turnips and potatoes, cut up into small pieces (kept mine pretty thin for quicker cooking, like 1/2 inch chunks)
Put into pot with water, bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the roots are soft
Drain, use potato masher to mash, add some milk, butter, salt and pepper to taste

I'll be posting later about the zucchini bread...I'm going to try as 
many different recipes as possible this summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment